2015/07/01

Advanced dimension strategy

When dimensions were introduced to Wartune, I wrote a few articles about dimension strategy, but I did not write a new post since the last changes - although there were many. So let's see how good are dimensions nowadays and how I do them.

The way the explore dimensions is still the same - run in rows, each 2 rows far from each other, so you can see all squares by using the minimum energy. You can explore the entire dimension this way as fast as possible, and enjoy the final resist and chest bonus.

However, something has changed with the last dimension nerf. Previously, dimension lifespan was measured in days - the more complex dimensions lasted for more days. So it didn't matter how many levels you explored, the dimension expired at the same rate. So the best strategy was get to the end asap, and then start looting up.

Now the situation has changed. Dimensions lifespan is measured in a percentage. And the more levels you explored, the more percentage it loses each day. After complete explore, the life loss accelerates. So dimension now require a bit different strategy. In a bigger dimension (advanced, extended) its okay to go slow, and loot up everything before you go to the next level. And not only percentage loss is slower - the final chests and resist bonuses are pretty poor, so you much better off with these dimension being around longer than finishing it quick.

Here is how I do dimensions:
I always make sure I have 5 active dimensions. If one one my dimensions expire, I start a new one, regardless of how the others are explored. If I know I will have a dimension expire the next day as well, I will do a basic dimension. If I have more time, I start an intermediate dimension instead. Basic dimensions are now not so good - mainly because the reapers there drop useless eudaemon enchant items, while you still need them from other dimensions. Because the other loot is pretty weak too, I just explore the basic dimension, but don't bother looting it up later.
If I have 5 dimensions, and I have an intermediate which will expire soon, I loot it up. I claim all treasures etc, but don't do regular monsters because they mostly drop useless shards.
Also I have one extended or advanced dimension open. Only one is enough, the rest is intermediate / basic. I do not rush to explore these fully: rather, I go slow, and loot up them as well. If you do it slow, it expires very, very slowly, and you can do basic/intermediates meanwhile to replace the ones which expired.

I try to have dark / electro / fire dimensions open: these are the most common sylphs used in pvp, so the resist bonus is helpful also.

Extended dimension
My favorite is now the extended dimension. Too bad I found only one so far. This is the only one where you should do even basic monsters: because they always drop intermediate or advanced dimension shards, no basic ones. The loot is great, and the dimension expires very, very slowly. So you have time to loot up all the 30 levels. Dragon den gives really awesome treasure, but it's really tough.

The real pain with dimensions is the time they take do to each day. The common energy nodes are nice, but this means that actually you have 200 moves each day, which include a lot of combats. It's easily 1 hour or more (have a second monitor ready where you can watch a film meanwhile). I would love too see a feature which allows me to purchase dimensional essences (which extend lifespan of dimension) for several hundred energy. This would save a lot of time!

Dimension pvp
I have to mention the really bad thing about dimensions: the pvp aspect, which allows other players to steal it. So here is what you can do to reduce this risk:
1. Be the strongest player on the server. (joking, this option is not available to 99% of the players :) )
2. Be in the strongest guild. Maybe you did not know, but people from your own guild will not plunder you. So in optimal case, the server has only one big guild - and then no one have to worry about dimension plunder.
3. Do dimensions which less people do. Advanced dimensions, or wind/air intermediate dimensions are started less often. People can steal your dimension only if they open the same type as you have!
4. If you do a basic or intermediate, explore it fast (basic takes 1, intermediate 2 days) so their lifespan drops below 80% asap, and then it cannot be plundered.
5. A friend of mine said they have an agreement on their server: if you enter someone else's dimenson, you delete it and start a new one. Well, need a very good community with no hatred to do that, but it seems it's possible...

2 comments:

  1. I dunno about advanced dimesnions. With just a smidgen of bad luck, they can be extremely rare (a guildie of mine who has been grinding dimensions every day sine the feature came out just popped his first advanced coord YESTERDAY!!!). Even if you clear the first hurdle of opening the dimension without it being already occupied (which would probably make me ragequit if it happened with an expert dim), you have to worry about it being stolen as long as it remains above 80%. On the one hand, stopping to loot will get more short term gains in the event that it's stolen early. On the other, every extra day it remains in the danger zone means an extra chance of losing all the rest of the loot (which can mean a ton of hammers/better quality offering etc). I want ALL the damn loot, so I end up conquering it first, so I can drop it into the safe zone ASAP. But then, all I care about is getting all the loot, and the chance for more coords to churn through for even more loot. YMMV.

    I clear out basic/int dims quickly too, but thats more because it's fast to do so, and they're common enough that if they get stolen, I don't much care.

    Also, while yes, killing guardians is pure drudgery, every chest is an extra chance to pop a higher coord, as the two advanced coords sitting in my vault popped earlier today from chests crafted with int shards can attest. I often (too often...lucky jerks :-D) see people open their daily holdings, snag a basic chest, pop an int from the basic, then pop an advanced from the int. I want as many chances at advanced+ coords as possible, so I want as many lottery tickets (chests) as possible, and I grind the guardians, at worst skipping only the basic ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once your luck starts rolling, you never run out of advanced dimensions. I never spend balen on these, and I remember a lot of wait for my first. But since that, now I have like 10+ in my inventory. Since you start doing them, adv dim will give another with better probability.

      Delete